Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Therapy Cat, Ashton

I adopted Ashton from Gwinnett Humane Society in 2007. I had been looking for a friend for my other cat, a very playful 2 year old female named Drew. I went to GHS and explained what I was looking for ("a cat that is active and can handle being abushed by another cat from the top of the couch...) I was very quickly told, "we have just the cat for you." I was taken to meet Ashton and immediately knew he was the one. He was walking around the room tackling every cat in sight, trying to initiate play. I think the other cats were getting annoyed and were happy when I said I'd take him!

Ashton and Drew hit it off immediately. He was the PERFECT fit! His sweet personality and attention-seeking behavior earned him the love of the whole family.

I now live in Los Angeles with Ashton, Drew and one more cat, a foster kitten-turned "mine", Aaron. Ashton loves to go on walks on his harness, bird watch from the window, and play with young Aaron.

I understand that Ashton was very close to his "last day" when Gwinnett Humane Society took him in. I can't believe such an amazing cat was so near the end because he has truly been life changing. Ashton has become a certified Animal Assisted Therapy Cat with spcaLA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Los Angeles). He visits nursing homes and comes with me to work where I run a violence-prevention program for at-risk youth at spcaLA. Ashton sits with the kids, providing company and a sense of ease. Most of the kids in the program only think of cats as outdoor pests, but Ashton has changed more than one person's mind about that! In one situation, an 8th grade boy began crying when talking about being abandoned by his mother and right on cue, like he knew his job, Ashton hopped into that boy's lap and snuggled in for some petting. Ashton truly is an amazing and gifted cat!

Thank you GHS! I love my baby boy so much- you made a great recommendation when you introduced me to him!

Meaghan
File #0 california 1 019.JPG exceeds the maximum file size. Error: 1.
File #1 015.JPG exceeds the maximum file size. Error: 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment